Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mama Memories

When I look back at my childhood, I know that it was very far from perfect, not even close to normal. But I'm not complaining, I am so grateful for everything I went through, as it has molded me into the woman I am today. My mother had me when she was twenty years old and she had her ups and downs as she struggled as a single parent. Through all of the hard times and the not-so-great decisions she made, it didn't matter, still she was the center of my world, the one and only person I looked up to.

Now that I am a mother, I often find myself reflecting on my childhood and the relationship I had with my mom. I think of the wonderful things that she taught me and did with me that have stuck with me all of these years.

Yesterday, as I pushed Sienna in her stroller, I realized that I was doing the exact same thing that my mom use to do with me twenty-something years ago... For most of my childhood we were poor, really poor. Needless to say, we shopped at thrift stores a lot, actually that's the only place we shopped because that's all she could afford. I fondly remember all of the fun times I had thrifting with her. As she would shop, I'd run thru the aisles putting on the most ridiculous outfits and wigs I could find to surprise her and see how hard I could make her laugh. Other times I would head over to the toy section and I'd sit in the aisle playing with all of the neat toys, begging her to buy them all for me.

Yesterday I took Sienna to a thrift store and we spent a good hour or so just browsing around. When she got fussy, I took her out of the stroller and walked her around the store. She had so much fun looking at everything, we even found an adorable onesie for her! Our trip got me thinking, I hope that Sienna has as much fun thrifting with me as I did with my mom. I hope she looks forward to it as she gets older. I hope she gets excited to search for the unique treasures we'll find together. We won't have to shop at thrift stores but I hope she'll want to. I can't wait to search for pretty vintage dresses or old doll houses with her.

Here she is in her cute new onesie...


I think she likes it :)

Click here to see a few of my thrift store finds that I used to decorate Sienna's room.

No comments:

Post a Comment