Friday, January 20, 2012

Teething troubles

Recently I've seen a few babies wearing amber necklaces and I figured it was just a new baby trend or something. Then just yesterday, I was talking with my Aunt Kathy and she informed me that those amber necklaces are actually teething necklaces. Huh? What's an amber teething necklace, you ask? Well, I googled my butt off when I got the chance and I found a ton of interesting info about them and how they work...


A Baltic amber teething necklace is made for wearing (not chewing) when a baby is teething. The warmth from the skin releases the active ingredient in the Baltic amber, succinic acid. Recent scientific research has proved that succinic acid has a very positive influence on the human body. It improves immunity and the balance of acids when absorbed into the bloodstream; it stimulates the thyroid glands to help reduce drooling and soothes red inflamed cheeks. Amber's anti-inflammatory and therapeutic properties are recognized by allopathic medicine as a natural analgesic, which will help to relieve teething pain and calm a baby without resorting to drugs. The skin's warmth releases healing oils from the amber, a resin, which is absorbed into the bloodstream. source

Amber is not a stone and therefore warm to the touch, as well as very comfortable and light to wear. Children wearing amber is a very old traditional custom in Europe and the Far East. Amber is known to reduce inflammation of the throat, ear and stomach and to fight inflammation, infections and respiratory disease. Traditional beaded amber necklaces are a less intrusive remedy for the pain and side effects of teething, such as lack of appetite, upset tummies, ear ache, fevers and colds. A natural analgesic, amber will help calm a baby without resorting to drugs. Amber's anti-inflammatory and therapeutic properties are also recognized by allopathic medicine. These necklaces are long known for the healing properties of amber which include calmative, analgesic, antispasmodic, expectorant, and febrifuge (anti-fever) functions. source

Mama's, do any of your babies wear an amber necklace? How do you like it? Does it work?

I am having a hell of a time with Sienna's teething right now, so I'm thinking of getting one for her. I would LOVE any feedback from you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment