Monday, January 23, 2012

Amazing Mama moment

Since Sienna was about two months old, I have been trying to teach her the ASL sign for "eat". I figured that out of all of the different signs, "eat" would be the most helpful for her to know first. Right before I nurse her I ask, "Do you want to eat?" or "Are you ready to eat" or I simply say "Eat", while doing the sign.



I have to admit, sometimes I forget to sign to her before letting her latch on, or if she's being really fussy I'll skip the sign. But for the most part I've tried really hard to be consistent with the sign before feeding her. It has been a couple months now and I started to wonder, is she catching on? When will she finally learn the sign? Am I doing the sign correctly? Am I wasting my time with this?

Well, just a couple days ago the most amazing thing happened! It was about 8:00am and I heard Sienna talking from the other room, so I went to check on her. There she was, laying in her bassinet with a big smile on her face, she had just woken up for the day. I stood above her telling her good morning and giving her kisses. She babbled to me for a minute or so, then she began to fuss. I knew it was time for her to eat so I asked her, "Are you hungry, do you want to eat?", signing "eat" to her when I said the word. The moment I said "eat" and she saw the sign, she immediately stopped crying, her eyes got SO wide and she started to do a sucking motion with her mouth all at the same time. It was clear to me, she knew exactly what I said! She knew exactly what that sign meant! She didn't sign it back to me, but her reaction showed me that she knew, that means EAT! Right away I picked her up and nursed her, repeating the word and sign while she ate. I don't know how many times I told her "You are such a smart girl" :) I was so proud, so happy! To be able to communicate with your child, even before they are able to talk is amazing! I can only imagine how excited I'll be the day she actually signs "eat" to me. I've decided that I'm going to teach her more signs. I'll keep you posted on how things go, I hope well!

No comments:

Post a Comment