Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Right now

I feel REALLY pregnant! My belly button hurts and I'm daydreaming of my fluffy bed and a long nap :)

I am 23 weeks pregnant, only 17 more weeks to go! At our last midwife appointment I learned that I've gained 10 pounds so far, she said that I have around 20 more pounds to go, whoa! Our baby girl is doing well and growing as expected. I am doing fantastic too, no sickness and eating well. However, I've been pretty tired the last few days. I'm starting to walk slower, breath heavier and feel exhausted more often. I try not complain and just suck it up. Luckily, the Hub is noticing that something is up so he's really helped out a lot! In the past couple days he has cleaned both bathrooms (including the tubs, toilets and floors!), helped with laundry, ran errands, he's doing so great!

My little lady is kicking more than ever! Yesterday, I'm pretty sure I experienced Braxton Hicks contractions for the first time. It seems way too early for me to get them, I'm only 23 weeks! So I did some research this morning, this is what I found:

What are Braxton Hicks contractions?
Braxton Hicks contractions can begin as early as the second trimester, however they are most common in the third trimester. The muscles of your uterus tighten for approximately 30 to 60 seconds or as long as 2 minutes. Braxton Hicks are also called “practice contractions” because they will prepare you for the real thing and you can practice the breathing exercises you are learning in your childbirth classes.

Braxton Hicks are described as:
Irregular in intensity
Infrequent
Unpredictable
Non-rhythmic
More uncomfortable than painful
They do not increase in intensity, or frequency
They taper off and then disappear altogether

What causes Braxton Hicks contractions?
There are a few speculations for why women have these contractions. Some physicians and midwives think they may play a part in toning the uterine muscle and promoting the flow of blood to the placenta. They are not believed to have any connection with dilating the cervix, but may have some effect on the softening of the cervix. However, as Braxton Hicks contractions become more intense closer to the time of delivery, the contractions are considered false labor, which can help in the dilation and effacement process.

What triggers Braxton Hicks contractions?
The following are triggers of Braxton Hicks:

When you or the baby are very active
If someone touches your belly
When your bladder is full
After sex
Dehydration

Sienna was extremely active all day yesterday, I'm sure that is what triggered the contractions. When I got home from work, I had Isaac feel her kicks and movements. He couldn't believe how hard her kicks were and how much she was twisting and turning, pretty much non-stop for hours at a time. She seems a bit more calm today so hopefully I'll have a comfortable day, with no Braxton Hicks contractions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment